Our National Health Center Week celebrations kind of overflowed into this week! And in no way is that upsetting!
Tuesday, August 16th, the new health & dental center played host to many of the early organizers of the very FIRST People’s Health Center as well as special guests – Representative André Carson, Mayor Greg Ballard, Mark Miles (Chairman of the Super Bowl Host Committee Board), and James Taylor (Executive Director of the Boner Center).
In case you are curious, here is a quick timeline of the People’s Health & Dental Center’s fantastic history:
- 1971 - Eastside residents opened the Near Eastside Community Organization Health Center in pool hall at Washington & Oriental streets. The center’s nickname was the ‘blue jeans clinic’ because of the welcoming, down home atmosphere.
- 1972 – the center moved into a remodeled furniture store on East New York Street and was incorporated as People’s Health Center.
- 1979 – People’s Health Center relocated to a converted warehouse on East 10th Street where it stayed for 32 years.
- 2011 - A new 26,000 square foot facility was built in front of the old warehouse that was then demolished for parking.
Tuesday’s community celebration was time for residents to remember the old building as well as celebrate the greater possibilities and pride for the Eastside neighborhood that come along with this new building!
Words from all of our guest
speakers mirrored that:
“We can NOT lose sight of the good that comes from greater access to care”
– Representative André Carson.
“The activity around here on the Near Eastside is
remarkable compared to just a few years ago!”
– Mayor Greg Ballard
“When Indianapolis hosts a sports celebration, it is never about the sport”
– Mark Miles, Super Bowl Host Committee
“What I am MOST proud of is that this health center is that anyone from ANY walk of life can enjoy and use it”
– James Taylor, Executive Director of the Boner Center.
To see more pictures of the event, check out our Facebook page. We will also keep you updated on any more postings about our health center expansion!
Thank you to all who celebrated the People’s Grand Opening on Tuesday (you can read an article about it at IndyStar.com), and thank everyone who was a part of helping HealthNet and People’s succeed in this expansion project.