Today is officially the start of summer! We all know that exercise is very important for our overall health, but sometimes it can be hard to find time to exercise, even during summer. Although we may be spending a lot of time outdoors, it can be difficult to exercise between the kid’s sports and activities, vacations, and barbecue’s. Check out the tips below on easy ways to get a workout in during the summer months.
1. Walk or ride your bike. Taking your kids to the park or to a friend’s house? Ride your bike or walk instead. Not only do you get to spend more time with your kids, but you can also get in a great workout! If you are walking in the heat, make sure you are prepared with sunscreen, hats, and plenty of water!
2. Visit the local swimming pool. Swimming is a great form of exercise especially when it’s hot outside and you need to cool down! Do some laps in the pool or check with your pool to see if they have classes you can take. Some local pools even teach inexpensive classes like water aerobics, which are also great workouts!
3. Push mow the yard. What seems like a common chore is actually a great cardio workout. Push mowing the yard not only burns calories, but is a great workout for your legs and arms, plus your yard will look great!
4. Plant a garden. Although it doesn’t seem like a typical workout, gardening is a great way to burn calories without hitting the gym. Gardening is also a great relaxation tool that can help you reduce stress. Instead of just planting flowers, try your hand at fruits and vegetables!
5. Explore your community! Indianapolis is full of wonderful parks and trails, so take advantage of them and go for a hike. You can also go for a walk or bike ride on the Indianapolis Cultural Trail, an 8 mile path that goes throughout the city!
Staying fit doesn’t have to mean a visit to the gym everyday. Enjoy these gym-less activities during your summer! While you are outside in the summer heat make sure you drink plenty of water and wear sunscreen!